- What is the difference between a donation and sponsorship?
- What is the difference between a tax receipt and a business acknowledgement?
- What is UBC’s charitable number?
- Where can I find my team’s sponsorship button/link?
- How many pages should my sponsorship package be?
- Am I ready to solicit for external gifts?
- Who should I reach out to solicit for external gifts?
- I just received a cheque from a donor, what do I do?
- A company offered to provide a Gift in Kind, what do I do?
- A sponsor wants me to sign a contract or gift agreement, what do I do?
- Are there templates for invoices, donation forms, and sponsorship pledge forms?
- What can the Development Office help with?
1. What is the difference between a donation and sponsorship?
- Donation: A philanthropic gift that has no perceived economic value/benefits to the donor.
- Sponsorship: A gift whereby the donor receives a ‘benefit’ for the donation made. Usually sponsorships are provided by companies/organizations. i.e. displaying a company logo on project.
2. What is the difference between a tax receipt and a business acknowledgement?
- A tax receipt is issued when an individual makes a donation. The tax receipt can be applied against an individual’s income tax. The donation is usually monetary.
- A business acknowledgement is issued for donations provided by a business. Business donations can be monetary and/or gifts-in-kind.
3. What is UBC’s charitable number?
- 10816 1779 RR0001
4. Where can I find my team’s sponsorship button/link?
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for an image of the ‘Sponsor’ button
5. How many pages should my sponsorship package be?
- 1- 4 pages with text and images
- One page should be dedicated to outlining the sponsor benefits. Please ensure your team is able to follow through with the proposed benefits and do not offer additional benefits not outlined in your sponsorship package.
- Create a case statement that resonates and aligns with the goals of your prospect. Check their website’s ‘About Us’ page.
6. Am I ready to solicit for external gifts?
- If you answer YES to all of the questions below then you are on the right track to making the ‘ask’.
- Do you have an approved sponsorship package?
- Do you have a list of prospects?
- Have you identified a sponsorship lead from your team?
- How much funding are you asking for?
- Have you contacted the Development Office?
7. Who should I reach out to solicit for external gifts?
- Get in touch with the company’s community relations team, human resources, or office manager.
- TIP: Ask other teams to see who they spoke to previously, check company websites for bios, and LinkedIn to find an appropriate contact.
- TIP: There are several companies not to be solicited by Student Teams. Please confirm with the Development Coordinator at email@example.com.
8. I just received a cheque from a donor, what do I do?
- Option 1: Provide the cheque and donation form (Appendix C1) to the Development Office (290-2360 East Mall, Chemical & Biological Engineering Building).
- Option 2: Submit cheque and donation form to the Dean’s Office Finance Dept. or your Department’s Finance and provide the Development Office with a copy of the cash receipt and donation form.
- TIP: Do you have a financial account set up? If not, please contact your Department’s Finance office to create one. Funds received cannot be deposited into personal bank accounts.
- TIP: You can request the donor to mail the cheque directly to the Development Office. Please ensure the team name is mentioned on the memo/reference line.
9. A company offered to provide a Gift in Kind, what do I do?
- Gift in Kind/in-kind donation is usually a non-monetary donation. i.e. equipment and software
- With proper documentation, these donations may be eligible for a full or partial business acknowledgement.
- Please contact the Development Office firstname.lastname@example.org if a donor is interested in making an in-kind donation. Your Faculty Advisor should also be made aware of this potential gift.
- TIP: Gifts of Services including assembly, advice, and time spent, cannot be acknowledged as per CRA regulations.
10. A sponsor wants me to sign a contract or gift agreement, what do I do?
- Please do not sign any legal binding documents including contracts or gift agreements
- Forward these inquiries to the Development Office, email@example.com
11. Are there templates for invoices, donation forms, and sponsorship pledge forms?
- Yes! Follow this link
12. What can the Development Office help with?
- Processing donation/sponsorship cheques and issuing tax receipts/business acknowledgements
- If you have questions regarding your financial account balance and reimbursements, please direct these inquiries to your Department’s Finance team.
- Inquiries on cheques received
- Reviewing sponsorship packages
- Sponsorship strategies
- General inquiries related to external sponsorships and donations